I have issues with that chicken, the first is the wholesomeness of those rotisserie birds. With all the creepy stuff they do to meat these days I like to make sure the meat we eat has not been shot up with a ton of antibiotics, hormones, or tumbled in some weird solution of flavor-enhancing chemicals. Most supermarkets aren’t going to use their free-range, kosher birds for rotisserie (if they even have them to begin with).
The chicken breast strips are just plain gross. What is that stuff anyway?
So I like to poach my own locally-raised, Amish birds for such occasions. Poached chicken is überhealthy and easy if you have some time to hang-out while it cooks. Between reading a book to your kids and a load of laundry just check to make sure it’s not simmering too rapidly. When it’s done, you have yummy chicken and amazing broth that can be used for soup later on in the week.
Basic Poached Chicken Recipe
An easy and flavorful recipe to slowly poach chicken in a rich broth.
- 5 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 celery stalk, cut into thirds
- 1/2 whole chicken, or 1 breast, 1 leg, 1 wing, and 1 thigh all with skin and bones
- 1/2 leek, washed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Add enough water to cover chicken by 1 inch. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat so liquid is barely moving and cook until chicken is firm, it's juices run clear, and a thermometer reads 165°F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast, about 1 hour.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes in the broth, then transfer to a cutting board and remove skin and bones. Dice for a salad or slice for a sandwich. Strain the broth through a fine mesh sieve and reserve for soup. Broth will keep for 4 days in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 787mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 30g
leave a reply