It is rare you get to put all the ingredients for a recipe in the title, but I believe that is an indication of how utterly simple this Sour Cream Fruit Dip recipe truly is!
This is the perfect dip for summer entertaining, from backyard barbecues to baby showers!
A few weeks ago I volunteered to bring something to Louisa’s end-of-the-year party at her ballet school and then, as is my custom, promptly forgot about it until about an hour beforehand.
After an extensive fifteen minutes of refrigerator gazing this fantastic little food memory hit me.
All of a sudden I remembered sitting on my Mom’s back stoop with my brother and we each had a bowl of strawberries. In between us were two more bowls, one filled with brown sugar and one filled with sour cream.
Using the green stem of the strawberries as a handle we’d dip our strawberries in the sour cream and then we’d dip our strawberries into the brown sugar until they were coated with sweet, crunchy goodness.
Pop! Pop! Into our mouths they went.
How to Make Sour Cream Fruit Dip
I wanted to recreate this memory for my daughter and her friends but thought better of having ten to twelve 6-year-olds double and triple dipping into bowls of sour cream.
So I did all the work for them and whipped it all together into a fruit dip recipe with sour cream….then added a little vanilla, just because.
It was so easy. I served this dip at the ballet party and the girls loved it. I had several of them come up to me to tell me how good the dip was, and 6-year-olds never tell you how good something is, unless it involves cotton candy or Pop Rocks.
It’s so simple, here’s how to make fruit dip with sour cream:
- Dump the sour cream, dark brown sugar, and vanilla into a bowl.
- Whisk it together until smooth.
- Cut up your favorite kind of fruit (strawberries recommended).
- Arrange fruit on a platter, spoon dip into a bowl and serve.
Variations On This Easy Fruit Dip Recipe With Sour Cream
- You could substitute plain yogurt for the sour cream if you wanted something a bit healthier but then it wouldn’t have quite as much tang.
- Another idea would be to spoon a serving with fruit in a bowl and put a big dollop of the dip on top, followed with some chia seeds and then it would also be healthier (or at least that’s what I tell myself).
- Omit the vanilla and add a squeeze of fresh orange juice to the dip for a citrus touch.
Which Fruits Are Best
The simple answer are ripe ones.
The longer answer is it depends on the season. In the spring and summer, obviously strawberries are the best choice but some other options would be:
- ripe pears in the fall
- melon like cantaloupe or honey dew
I hope you all have a wonderful Father’s Day weekend! Go ahead and make Dad some dip! Dip, dip!
Sour Cream Fruit Dip with Brown Sugar + Vanilla
Dip can be made up to 3 days in advance. Keep covered and chilled until ready to serve
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar ((light would probably work too))
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit for serving
- Combine sour cream, brown sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and serve with fresh fruit.
Keywords: sour cream fruit dip
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month, such as this one here. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allow me to run the site. Thank you for reading!