They were so beautifully crisp on the edges with the slightest hint of coconut and perfectly sweet when layered with macerated strawberries and toasty coconut. These crepes are the perfect dessert (or breakfast). They are bursting with summer flavors and light as air with a subtle coconut flavor that comes from using coconut milk in place of the more traditional whole milk (also making them dairy free—bonus!).
Lemon-flecked strawberries and a sprinkling of toasted coconut lend a textural contrast to the all at once chewy, crispy crepes. If you are not so concerned with the whole dairy thing you can serve them with a heaping dollop of vanilla-scented whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream—you can’t ever go wrong with that.Print
Coconut Milk Crepes with Lemon-Streaked Strawberries
Light as air coconut milk crepes folded over lemon-streaked strawberries and toasted coconut. These dairy-free crepes are a lovely for Mother’s Day brunch.
- Yield: 8-10 Crepes 1x
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- peanut oil, for frying
- toasted sweetened coconut flakes, for garnish
- lemon zest strips, for garnish
- Combine eggs, coconut milk, flour, half the sugar, and salt in a blender.
- Cover and blend on high until smooth. Place in the refrigerator to rest while you prepare the strawberries.
- Slice the strawberries and combine with remaining sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Stir until strawberries are coated in sugar, set aside.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of peanut oil in a medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, pour in 1/4 cup of the batter, swirling so the batter covers the entire surface in a thin layer.
- Cook the crepe undisturbed for 2 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned and crisp and the top seams almost dry with a few wet spots. Flip or turn the crepe and cook about 1 minute more or until toasted on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter, stacking the crepes with parchment paper in between to prevent them from sticking together; you should have 8-10 crepes.
- Give the strawberries a stir and taste, adding more lemon juice or sugar as needed. Lay one crepe on a plate and put a spoonful of strawberries with some of their juice and a sprinkling of toasted coconut and lemon zest in one corner of the crepe. Fold the crepe in half to cover the berries and spoon some more berries and coconut on top of that. Fold the crepe over one more time to enclose the filling and top the crepe with a final spoonful of berries, a sprinkling of coconut and a few lemon zest strips. Serve immediately.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!