No TJ’s is by far what I dislike most about living in the ice-cold, frozen, windswept tundra we affectionately call home. The closest Trader Joe’s locations are in Minneapolis, a short five-hour drive away. On my last trip in January I was either deep in winter hibernation mode (junk food) or seriously PMSing (junk food) and I bought every snack item they sell including Cowboy Bark and (I’m embarrassed to admit this) three jars of Speculoos Cookie Butter…..who knows when I’ll get back, right? Don’t judge. When I strolled up to the check out line the dear heart behind the counter took one look at my overflowing cart and said ‘How far are you driving?!’ When I told her North Dakota she reached behind her and pulled out three boxes of Dark Chocolate Triple Ginger Cookies and plopped them in my bags….for the road…ya know….snackin’.
So now these jars of cookie butter have been eating at me (or I’ve been eating at them? I don’t know.) to get used before bikini season in like….say…..four months. So instead of slathering it on every piece of toast, pretzel stick, and banana I see I took a jar and made the cookie butter back into cookies, a sort of reincarnation if you will.
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups museli
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cookie butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar, for decorating
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, museli, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Combine shortening and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cookie butter, egg, and vanilla and beat to combine. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low until fully incorporated.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoon and roll in granulated sugar. Place on top baking sheets lined with parchment or silpats, about 1-inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until still soft in the middle but crisp on the edges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 5g