This is how I finished off the last of my frittata yesterday. I had been searching high and low for fresh tarragon and finally found some in Fargo. I’ve been aching for spring flavors—something that will brighten my continual snowy, drab existence. I knew I wouldn’t find fresh peas (they are more of a summer food here) so I made a perfectly acceptable version of this springy fritatta with thawed frozen peas.
If you do have access to fresh English peas, shell them and immediately immerse them in heavily salted boiling water. Wait a minute or two, pluck one out and after tossing it from hand to hand (so as to not burn yourself) and taste it to see if it is tender enough for you. If so, drain them then run under cold water until they are completely cool.
Peas and tarragon will undoubtedly push you into spring even if Mother Nature refuses to cooperate.
English Pea and Tarragon Fritatta Recipe
A springtime baked egg recipe with sweet english peas and licorice-scented tarragon.
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup blanched fresh peas, or thawed frozen peas
- 1/2 cup tarragon leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat broiler and arrange rack in middle of oven. Break eggs into a large bowl and beat until smooth. Stir in peas, tarragon, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, but not brown.
- Pour egg mixture over onions and stir ingredients together. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until eggs are set around the outer inch of the pan, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the broiler and cook until puffed, browned and set in the middle, about 3 minutes. Slices into wedges and serve with a nice loaf of bread and a salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 372mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
leave a reply