Is it strange I feel things have slowed down a bit since everyone went back to school? Maybe it’s because they’ve all left me (even little Hiro) and there are moments of silence during the day that this house hasn’t experienced since early May.
But Louisa will start swim lessons soon and we are leaving in a couple days for Michigan to take The Professor’s work to ArtPrize (!) and before I know it things will ramp up significantly. So its best to start stocking up on some pantry staples that can be thrown together last-minute-style for easy weeknight dinners.
This simple pasta is a riff on one of my favorites from Pati Jinich’s cookbook Pati’s Mexican Table. The list of ingredients are interesting but so very easy to pull off and as long as you stock dried guajillo chiles in your cupboard and grow heirloom tomatoes and Italian parsley in your backyard (as we all do) then you should already have everything you need to pull this off (in the time it takes to help a second grader with her math homework).
Heirloom Tomato Guajillo Pasta Recipe with Tuna
Recipe inspired by Pati Jinich
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 pound linguine or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 dried guajillo chiles, rinsed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (5 ounce) cans albacore tuna packed in olive oil
- 1 large heirloom tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Once boiling add pasta and cook for 7-9 minutes or until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain pasta.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add garlic and guajillos and fry for 30 seconds to a minute, don’t let burn. Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid and toss to coat. Season with salt then add tuna, tomatoes, and parsley. Toss to combine and serve.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!