Happy Monday! Not just any Monday however, but Thanksgiving week Monday, almost-like-a-Wednesday Monday, you-better-hope-your-turkey-is-almost-thawed Monday.
This past weekend we procured our turkey, it weighs only 5 pounds less than my toddler. Bring. It. On.
Our Thanksgiving table tends to be a reflection of our lives—a little Mexican, a little white-bread American, and of course some steamed rice for the kids. I’m going to get achiote all over that bird but will serve it with Whiskey Cream Gravy aaaaaaand Charred Tomatillo Salsa because well, why not? I’m also making these Whiskey Glazed Carrots but with coconut oil instead of butter. Is anyone detecting a theme here? We should all be good and schnockered by dessert.
And because the turkey, stuffing, pies, etc. tend to be a bit of a bugger I like to load up my menu with things that can be made in advance, covered and set in my walk-in fridge (read: front porch) until dinner time.
This jicama slaw is one of those dishes. This salad turns the humble jicama into a show-stopping side that is meant for Thanksgiving. It has crunch for days, which is a welcome counterpart to an otherwise creamy meal and can be made way in advance. In fact, it is better if you do make it ahead. The jicama has time to soak up the flavors of the dressing, because let’s face it, jicama on its own doesn’t offer a ton of flavor. Throw a little peppery green in the mix right before serving and you have a easy side that is high on the flavor scale and low on the workload.
Jicama Slaw with Ginger Molasses Vinaigrette
This Jicama Slaw with Ginger Molasses Vinaigrette turns the humble jicama into a show-stopping side that is meant for Thanksgiving or any time of year. This is a great make-ahead salad. The jicama benefits from a soak in the vinaigrette and doesn’t get soggy. You can make it up to 6 hours in advance.
Vinaigrette adapted from Mustard’s Grill Cookbook
- Yield: 6-8 Servings 1x
For the Slaw:
- 2 jicama
- 2 cups mache or watercress leaves
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- To make the slaw, peel the jicama, cut in half, then cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Cut each slice into 1/4-inch thick matchsticks. Toss jicama with the dressing, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Toss with the mache right before serving.