What do all these things say about me? I am a sucker for the sour splendor of citrus.
I appriciate a lemon bar as much as the next guy, but the simultaneously brisk and floral flavor of limes makes for a stupendous creamy confection. These bold bars are so sour, you might break a small sweat if you eat more than one at a time, but the buttery shortbread base balances the lime’s pungency so the pucker factor is kept to a pleasing level.
I also love the simplicity of these bars. Just press the dough in the pan. Bake. Whisk the filling ingredients together. Bake. And your done. That’s it. Not as simple as boiling water, but not far off.
I really can’t say enough good things about this dessert. The grassy green color, the wobbly, soft filling, and what’s more my ‘lil one didn’t like them. Hooray! More for me!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons lime juice (about 3 medium limes)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- Powdered sugar for dusting, if desired
- Heat oven to 325°F and arrange rack to lower-middle. Spray and 8 x 8-inch pan with cooking spray and line with a piece of foil long enough so two sides stick up about 2-inches above the sides of the pan and act as handles. Spray foil with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup flour, salt, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl; stir in butter until moistened throughout. Press dough into pan and even out using the bottom of a measuring cup dipped in flour. Bake until pale golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, lime juice and lime zest in a medium bowl until smooth. Remove pan from oven and add lime mixture. Continue baking until just set, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool in pan for a few minutes then run a knife around outer edges of pan. Using foil, pull bars from pan and set on a wire rack to cool to room temperature. Cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g