Have you ever made it to three in the afternoon only to realize you haven’t even brushed your hair yet? Yeah, me neither…never mind.
Have you ever been bored out of your gourd and thought adding some booze to Rice Krispy treats might do the trick? NO?! Well, you should!
Last weekend the kids and I were sitting around staring at each other and then I thought I’d better do something quick before Hiro starts asking me to play cars. The way I normally avoid playing endless hours of a game whose rules I don’t understand and whose end never appears is to offer to let them help me bake something in the kitchen. Unfortunately I was not in the mental state to handle the enormous mess that typically ensues from a flour-filled situation so I turned to my trusty box of Rice Krispies and my bag of mini marshmallows.
While the kids made an enormous mess with Rice Krispies and sprinkles (there went that plan) I made my own version with toasted coconut, a few hefty glugs of rum and some raisins to add chew to the crispy, crackly sweet that is Rice Krispie treats. Oh geez you should try these guys. So good. I’ve made them a few more times than I care to admit, basically til the bottle of rum was gone. I had to turn to Hennessy (also good).
I’m pretty sure these would disappear if taken to a Super Bowl party next weekend or if left on your kitchen counter for more than a day.
Other Super Bowl party options:
- Chipotle Lime Popcorn
- Sweet Potato Nachos with Smoked Cheddar and Black Beans
- Classic Guacamole + Chips
- Charred Tomatillo Salsa + Chips
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 (10.5 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- Combine raisins and rum and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat your oven to 375°F and spread the coconut into a single layer in a heat-proof frying pan. Toast coconut, checking and stirring frequently, until toasted and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add cereal.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows, raisins, and rum and stir until marshmallows have melted completely. Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and coconut and mix until thoroughly coated.
- Transfer mixture to the greased dish and press down with a rubber spatula. Let cool, then slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g