This winter has been brutal! It has not gotten above 10°F in over three weeks! That is until today!!!! There is hope. So much hope that I feel like stuffing jalapeños with cheese, rolling them in bread crumbs and baking them in the oven (covered with more cheese, of course).
Deep-fried jalapeño poppers are good, but not so easily accomplished at home. By roasting the peppers you cut back on the calories and the hassle. This version is made with salty Spanish Manchego cheese but a lot of other cheeses would work well here, sharp cheddar, goat cheese, or even simple cream cheese would be delicious.
So while I can’t veg out with a platter of cheese-stuffed jalapeños on the couch and watch some hot Sochi action, I can dream about it. If you see me in Costco starring at the TVs with salsa on my face, just keep walking.
- 16 large jalapeño peppers
- 12 ounces Manchego cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salsa, to serve
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Make a slit, lengthwise, down the side of each pepper. Using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds and inner core of the peppers (if you like the peppers spicy you can leave some of the seeds in)
- Coarsely shred 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and cut the remaining into 16 sticks.
- Place 1 cheese stick inside each pepper and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a shallow dish and season with salt (about 1 teaspoon) and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon).
- Place the panko into a separate shallow dish and season with salt and pepper as well.
- Dip each stuffed jalapeño in the egg, rolling it around to coat and then the panko, pressing the breadcrumbs to each pepper. Transfer the breaded pepper to a 9-inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining peppers.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top and roast in the oven until the peppers have softened and the cheese is browned and melted. Top each pepper with salsa and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g