Luckily, Kelfar had stuck closely by his grandmother’s side as a child and learned much about Thai cooking, a lot of which he passed on to The Professor during those lean times. Steamed rice, ramen and other rather bland starchy items were brought to life by a vibrant sauce, redolent with spicy peppers and floral mint leaves. This sauce is emblematic of Thai cooking hitting all the senses at once and goes beautifully with meat, vegetables and of course steamed Jasmine rice.
I have given instructions for cooking the steak on the grill, but you could easily pan-fry it in a hot cast iron skillet or grill pan.
Thai Steak Salad Recipe
Steak marinated in lime juice, soy, chiles, and mint and then grilled and piled onto a bed of crunchy lettuce and cucumbers. Dairy and gluten free! Adapted from Sara's Secrets for Weeknight Meals
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup finely shredded fresh mint
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound thin-cut beef ribeye steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces, washed and dried
- 2 carrots shredded through the large holes of a box grater
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, blanched in boiling salted water for 30 seconds and drained
- Whisk together lime juice, mint, jalapenos, soy sauce, sugar, fish sauce, and garlic until the sugar is dissolved.
- Rub the steak on all sides with oil and season generously with kosher salt and black pepper. Heat a grill to medium-high heat and grill steak to desired doneness; 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing. Then cut into very thin slices against the grain.
- Arrange lettuce, carrots, pepper, and peas on a large platter and place steak on top. Drizzle dressing over salad, reserving some for spooning over each plate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 970mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 38g