In the spirit of pleasing the most perfectly precocious cherub I know here is an abbreviated version of our conversation about these amazingly delicious BBQ sweet potatoes.
Me: What do you think about BBQ Sweet Potatoes?
O: I do not know anything about BBQ.
Me: Well, do you like I like sweet potatoes?
O: I like sweet potatoes so much they make my tummy have a nice day. My mommy likes them too we both like them everyday. We eat them. Moooooooooooooooo. My daddy likes them so much, we eat them, so display.
Me: Are you excited about The 4th of July?
O: The Fourth of July is my favorite day, we eat candy and eat healthy vegetables. The Fourth of July is what I like, eating good foods and pasta. We like fireworks and parades. One time I saw fireworks. One time we stayed at a hotel and outside the hotel there was a fireworks shooter. The fireworks were outside of the hotel. I like the beds they were so comfy. In the morning we brushed our teeth. They had a fireworks shooter.
Me: What do you think of this photo of the sweet potatoes?
O: They look sweet, like carrots that are sliced up. No I do not like garlic. I don’t know what saffron is. I don’t eat spice.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the Avocado Aioli:
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat a charcoal grill to medium heat. Place sweet potatoes, and garlic in a large bowl. Crush the saffron over the sweet potatoes and then add the salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss everything together until the potatoes are well coated.
- Place a long piece of foil (about 15 inches) on a flat surface and place the potatoes on one side. Fold the other side over the potatoes and fold the two sides of foil together to make a neat package.
- Lay the package next to the charcoal in the bottom of the grill. Cover the grill, leaving the air holes open. Grill the potatoes for about 25-30 minutes, flipping the package halfway through. When the potatoes are pierced easily with a fork they are ready.
- Meanwhile, prepare the aioli by combining all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding a bit more water if the mixture is too thick.
- Remove potatoes from the grill and serve hot with the avocado aioli for dipping.