I came across these cookies last Christmas in the opus that is Gourmet Today. I was searching for an activity that my lil’ jalapeño and I could do instead of going outside in the -10°F weather. Some people craft with their kids—I bake. Anyhoo, they turned out really good—chewy, just enough spice and a bitter edge that begs you to eat another.
I’ve been dreaming about them lately and had a quart of pumpkin ice cream in the freezer, just begging me to eat it. Then it struck me that those two would probably like to meet. So it was only right that I introduce them, and whattaya know? A match made in heaven.
Pumpkin ice cream is one of those seasonal ice cream flavors, like peppermint and egg nog, that I wait for all year long. If made right it is like a frozen, meltable version of pumpkin pie.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses (not robust)
- 1/2 cup sanding sugar or granulated sugar for dusting
- 3 cups pumpkin ice cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine shortening and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until combined. Turn off mixer and scrape down sides with a rubber spatula. Add flour mixture and beat on low until flour is incorporated.
- Form tablespoon-sized balls of dough and roll in sugar. Place 2-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, then press balls down with the back of a measuring cup or bottom of a glass. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake until slightly darker around the edges, but top is still soft, about 10-12 minutes. Let sit on baking sheet a couple of minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream onto the bottom of 1 cookie, top with another cookie and press down to evenly distribute ice cream, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g