Do you guys know Heather Christo?
She’s the creator of the Chimichurri Twice Baked Potato, the Sour Green Apple Jalapeño Margarita, and the best Greek Chicken and Potatoes you will ever make. Did I mention that all of this is allergen-free? Well it is, and you can find it over on her drop dead gorgeous blog where guess what? Today, you can also find my recipe for these Spicy Cinnamon-Spiked Sweet Potato Tostadas!
One of my favorite simple dinners are tostadas. The ingredients are basic but the options are endless. I like to keep a package of tostada shells and a can of refried beans on hand for when the mood strikes and then all I need to do is either slice some steak, shred some chicken, or in this case roast some sweet potatoes to put on top.
The cinnamon and chile on these sweet potatoes are one of my favorite spice mixtures for root vegetables; neither one is over-powering and they lend such a unique profile to everything from parsnips to rutabaga— seriously try it. The little impromptu slaw on top is completely optional but it adds some crunch and freshness that is lovely with the fluffy sweet potatoes. Also, if you are a spice junkie like my husband, don’t forget the hot sauce.
Spicy Cinnamon-Spiked Sweet Potato Tostadas
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 8–10 wedges, each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground arbol chile
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 package gluten-free tostada shells
- 1 (15-ounce) can gluten-free, vegan refried beans, warmed
- To garnish:
- Shredded green cabbage
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Hot sauce
- Heat oven to 425°F. Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, salt, arbol chile, and cinnamon on a baking sheet. Toss to combine then spread in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Spread a spoonful of the warmed refried beans on the tostada shell. Top with a few sweet potato wedges, some shredded cabbage, a few red onion slices, cilantro, radishes, and squeeze a lime wedge over the top. Drizzle some hot sauce on if desired.
Here are a couple of my other favorite tostada recipes too: