In a frost-bitten daze I go to the grocery store to try to brighten my mood. Maybe I can pick up some delicious produce, something different than the tightly wrapped broccoli and plastic cartons of spinach I’ve been eating since last October. Like Charlie Sheen having one more drink, I am in complete denial of reality—of my supermarket offerings that is.
I imagine glistening bins of dark leafy greens, towers of plump Brussels sprouts, and an array of colorful carrots neatly stacked in rows. Unfortunately I am awakened from my delusional stupor when the dank fluorescent lights of the produce aisle hit the whites of my eyes. Ashamed to let the check-out lady see the tears swell up in my eyes I quickly grab a bag of Romaine and dash out the door.
I go home and make this Caesar salad, lick my wounds, and wait patiently for spring.
Caesar Salad Recipe
A super easy Caesar salad recipe with no raw egg but all the lemony-garlic flavor you love about this classic crisp salad.
For the Croutons:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups roughly chopped bread cubes (like baguette or sourdough)
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the croutons, heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in middle. Combine smashed garlic and oil and infuse for 20 minutes.
- Remove garlic from oil (it can be reserved to make the dressing). Toss oil and bread cubes together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss again. Spread bread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crunchy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, garlic, and anchovy paste in a large glass jar with a tight-fitting lid (a Mason jar works well). Cover tightly and shake until incorporated and uniform. Add oils and shake once more until incorporated. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Use immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days; shake again before using.
- To assemble, wash, dry and tear lettuce into a large bowl. Add Parmesan, croutons, and half of the dressing (save other half for another salad). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss, making sure everything is coated. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary, serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
leave a reply