Let me tell you about Tomatillo Pico de Gallo
If you are familiar with Mexican food, then you know how a good fresh salsa like pico de gallo (tomatoes, chiles, and onion tossed in lime juice and salt) can really brighten an entire meal. This tomatillo version substitutes sweeter, softer red tomatoes for the crunchy, tart green ones. If you’ve never tried raw tomatillos before, you are in for a treat. They are bursting with flavor and add textural contrast to everything from enchiladas to tacos.
As you may or may not know, I am really into tomatillos. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to this spunky little fruit/vegetable. I’m even trying to grow some in my garden for the first time this summer, so I’ll keep you updated on how that goes. If you are unfamiliar with them here are a few fun facts:
- Tomatillos aren’t baby tomatoes. They both are in the nightshade family, but tomatillos are a completely different plant whose fruit is covered by a papery husk.
- Most supermarkets now carry tomatillos, but the best quality is found in Latin markets. Choose ones that are firm and have no brown or soft spots.
- Raw tomatillos are not poisonous, but their husks are, so make sure to peel them first–and wash well before cutting.
How to make it!
This salsa is a bit time consuming—lots of chopping— but not at all difficult to make. It will last about a week and a half in the fridge and makes a ton. Serve with chips, on top of scrambled eggs, grilled chicken, or steak.Print
Tomatillo Salsa Crudo Recipe
This fresh, raw Tomatillo Pico de Gallo is a zesty salsa that captures the essence of tart tomatillos, chiles, and onions. Perfect for chips or tacos.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 5 Cups 1x
- Category: salsa
- Method: no-cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed and small diced
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 2 jalapeños, small dice (seeds removed if you don’t want it spicy)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary.