This Cucumber-Watermelon Salad Recipe was first published in 2010. I revisited it this summer, updated the recipe a bit, and shot some new images. Hope you love it!
New Thoughts on this Cucumber-Watermelon Salad Recipe
There’s really nothing to this salad. It’s one of those easy Mexican recipes you find yourself making again and again. The success of this dish is banking on the ripeness of the watermelon and crispness of the cucumber so if you do nothing else just make sure to buy the freshest produce—your local Farmer’s Market is best.
What makes it special is the bright spirit of fresh-squeezed lime juice that heightens every ingredient in this salad. Well, that, plus a spicy kick of jalapeño slivers and a few delicate mint leaves.
To get the biggest bang for my buck, I ran the cucumber lengthwise on a Japanese mandolin to make those sexy long strips. If you don’t want to go through the trouble, cutting the cucumber into a large dice like the watermelon tastes good too. If your cucumber is on the bitter side, peel off the skin and scoop out the seeds before cutting.
You can make this a bit more substantial and toss in some cooked quinoa and crumbled queso fresco. Or if you don’t like the raw jalapeños but still like spice a sprinkling of Tajín is always good. The herb can be switched up to for fresh basil, cilantro, or chives, really whatever you have on hand, this salad is super versatile.
What to Serve it With
From the Original Post
I haven’t had time to pickle and I’m worried my Lil’ Jalapeno is going to turn into my Lil’ Pepino if I bribe her into eating any more cucumbers. “I’ll give you a bowl of ice cream,” I say, “But only if you eat one more cucumber.”
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled, seeded (if bitter) and cut into 1-inch cubes or slice into thin strips using a Japanese mandolin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Combine watermelon and cucumber in a large serving bowl.
- Add lime juice, jalapeno, and mint toss to coat. Season with salt to taste.
- Enjoy immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g