Classic Guacamole + Chips
This recipe will teach you how to make guacamole with 6 simple ingredients, plus how to make homemade tortilla chips. Both are so simple and delicious!
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 large jalapeño, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large scallion (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh out of the avocado into a large bowl. Discard the pits.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the lime juice, and mash together using a potato masher until combined, but still some small pieces remain, not completely smooth.
- Add lime juice and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt or lime as necessary.
- If not serving immediately press a piece of plastic wrap directly over the guacamole. You want the plastic wrap to be touching it, any places where it is not touching will start to turn brown. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The guacamole can be covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.
To Make the Chips:
- Making your own chips is pretty easy. Just heat an inch or two of vegetable oil with a heaping spoonful of lard (if you have it) in a deep frying pan to about 350°F or until a piece of bread browns in 30 seconds when dropped in the oil. Cut 10-12 corn tortillas into 8 wedges each, then add to the hot oil a handful at a time. Fry until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes) then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Knowing that this recipe worked for you is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!