I’m not feeling Valentine’s this year.
Some folks hate Valentine’s Day, but I’m normally not one of them. Usually I’m all about it. I love to have a little celebration of love smack dab in the middle of boring old winter—bring on the pink and sprinkles and champagne and chocolate—but for some reason, not this year.
This year I’m more, ugh! Then awwww! I have no special gift for my honey, no inclination to cut out paper hearts, definitely no dinner plans, so I made jam instead.
The only thing that remotely peaks my interest is sneaking out of bed before the kids wake up and making a special little breakfast-in-bed for my Valentine. It seems the only quiet time we have together anymore happens between the hours of 6-7am, so instead of a dinner date, I’m thinking more along the lines of toast, coffee, homemade chai, and actual conversation. At 6am on Valentine’s.
So I made jam.
I made a jam that the kids won’t like—it’s not for them anyway. I made jam with dried mission figs that is not too sweet, and with smoky chipotle chiles which makes it a little spicy, not to mention perfect on toast with a runny egg. Also, I made a jam in about 30 minutes, so you still have time to make your own jam too if you want.
I hope you have plans to share a little something with someone, even if it’s just jam at 6am. #RomanceIRL is better than none at all. xoxoxo
- 8 ounces dried mission figs, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping cup chopped red onion
- 3 chipotles en adobo
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cover figs with water in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let plump in the hot water while you cook the onions.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Lower the heat if they start to brown too quickly.
- Drain figs and place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Add onions, chipotles, orange juice, and salt.
- Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides occasionally.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 38Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!