So you’ve bought the can of chipotle peppers in adobo, now what? I’ve got 17 chipotle pepper recipes right here that are going to finish off that can in no time!
What are Chipotle Peppers and Where Do you Buy Them?
First things first: Chipotle peppers are simply smoked jalapeño peppers.
- They can be bought in their dried form (in Latin markets or well-stocked grocery stores with the other dried chiles)
- But more often they are sold in small cans, rehydrated and packed in adobo sauce. Canned chipotle in adobo can be found at almost any grocery store next to the other Latin foods, aka the salsa aisle.
Are Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Super Spicy?
Short answer: Yes. But you can control the heat by:
- Scraping out the seeds
- Using less than the recipe calls for. Start with half and then add more according to your tastes
- Use just the adobo sauce that the chiles come packed in. The sauce is a mixture of tomatoes, vinegar, and spices and packs a little heat but not half as much as the chiles.
When Do I Use Chipotle Peppers in Adobo?
Their smoky, spicy flavor can add a boost to just about anything, but a few non-recipe recipes are:
- Chopping and adding to a can of black beans
- Pureeing and mixing into mayonnaise for a quick sandwich spread.
- Chopping fine and mixing into hummus.
- Adding a few tablespoons of the adobo sauce to chicken broth for a quick soup.
- Heck, adding a few tablespoons of the adobo sauce to ANY soup.
How Long Do Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Last?
- After opening your can of chipotle peppers transfer any leftovers to a clean resealable jar and keep in the fridge for a month.
- Blend any leftovers into a smooth paste and freeze in ice cube trays.
- Once frozen, pop the chipotle ice cubes out of the tray into a resealable plastic bag and take them out as you need them.
- Frozen, they should last up to 6 months.
Now Give Me Some Recipes with Chipotle Peppers!!
Need More Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce Recipes?
- Hit up my Chipotle Pepper Recipes Pinterest Board.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno and use the #holajalapeno hashtag so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
Header image by Food and Wine