I’ve tried so many recipes that claim to make easy Mexican rice, but this is by far the most simple because all you do is mix it and let the oven do all the work!
Friday night I was desperately craving brownies but was way too lazy to melt chocolate so Hiro strapped on his new Thomas the Train rain boots and we went to the store for a box of brownie mix. When we got back we found the other two were entranced by the most captivating commercial for a grocery store I’ve ever witnessed. It is German, involves a man bathing in milk to which he adds cereal, and a techno-pop song I now hear in my sleep. We might have had something to do with the over 6 million views it has gotten on Youtube.
What Makes This Easy Mexican Rice So Simple?
The point where most people get stuck when making a rice dish like this one is simmering the rice on the stove top. It either gets burnt on the bottom or doesn’t cook long enough or is too mushy. Frankly, a lot can go wrong. Here’s why THIS recipe is foolproof:
- The tomatoes, chiles, garlic, and onions that flavor the long grain white rice get pureed in the blender with the chicken stock—no chopping involved!
- We don’t cook the rice on the stove, it gets baked in the oven. That slow, even heat produces perfect, fluffy rice every time.
How Long Does This Rice Take?
The cooking time on this rice is a bit longer than the traditional stove top method. Typically you would simmer only about 20 minutes and that’s it. Even though this version takes longer, it is actually easier because you are not watching over the pot, stirring and worrying that it’s burning. You put it in the oven, watch an episode of Schitt’s Creek on Netflix, and it’s ready! Here’s how this recipe works:
- Toast the rice in oil on the stove top for about 5 minutes.
- Add the blended tomato mixture and bring to a simmer (this takes about another 5 minutes).
- Cover and transfer to the oven. Let bake about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit another 10 minutes to allow all the liquid to absorb and the rice to get fluffy.
The Best Kitchen Tools Make The Best Rice
How simple a recipe is has everything to do with having the right equipment. For example, making this rice dish won’t be very easy if you don’t have the right pan to cook it in….or a blender. Here’s what you need:
- A large, shallow, oven-proof pot with a lid. In French its called a Braiser. I love mine from Le Creuset. It was a wedding gift and what I use every time I make Mexican rice. It’s what I’m making the rice in in the photographs.
- Powerful blender to get the tomato mixture smooth.
What To Serve With Easy Mexican Rice
This rice is classic Tex-Mex at it’s best and goes with just about anything. My kids would argue that it is a meal all on its own. That being said, there are some special recipes I just love for a classic comfort food meal:
- Crispy Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Carne Adobada
- Jalapeño Slow Cooker Beef Tacos with Mango Citrus Salsa
- Best Ever Canned Black Beans
Reduce The Heat On That Pot And Take A Pic!
Like most good things that come out of your kitchen you are going to want to snap a picture of it and share it with your friends, right?! Well, don’t forget to tag @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno on Instagram when you do. I’d love to see it!
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allow me to run the site. Thank you for reading!