Inevitably most of us will have a vegetarian or two around the table this year and this hearty salad of roasted beets, nuts, and briny green olives will please those palates as well as the ones who will also be taking down a turkey leg or two.Print
Roasted Beet and Green Olive Salad Recipe
A flavor-packed fall salad recipe with roasted beets, toasted almonds, cracked green olives, and lemon vinaigrette
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, scrubbed clean and dried
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for roasting beets
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup brined green olives, pits removed and coarsley chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place beets in a baking dish, coat lightly with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cover dish with foil and roast until knife tender, about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of beets. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel off skin by rubbing gently with a paper towel, or scraping a pairing knife along the surface. Cut into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- While beets are roasting, place almonds in a small frying pan and place alongside the beets in the oven. Toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes, shaking occasionally. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Coarsley chop nuts; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, lemon zest, and juice. Slowly add oil while whisking continuously until emulsified. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. Add beets, almonds, scallions, olives, and parsley to vinaigrette and stir to coat. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.