It also keeps very nicely in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just press a piece of parchment or waxed paper onto the surface and cover with plastic wrap before refrigerating. Give a stir before using as it has a tendency to separate.
Royal Icing Recipe
A simple, dairy-free icing recipe for decorating cookies.
Adapted from CHOW.com
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 4 cups powdered sugar (1 1-pound box)
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 5 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed, stopping to scrape down the bowl, until glossy and stiff, about 5 minutes.
- This is a good consistency for piping; if spreading the frosting, thin with more lemon juice (a teaspoon at a time) until desired consistency.
Keywords: royal icing