A vibrant chutney like this is made for pork chops, or really pork of any kind, but you could also serve it with grilled chicken or spread over goat cheese on toasted bread.
Spicy Tomato Chutney Recipe
Adapted from Sarah Schafer, Irving Street Kitchen, Portland, Oregon The chutney will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/4 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapenos (seeds optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- Wrap bay leaf, cardamom and mustard seeds in a cheesecloth and tie together with a piece of twine. Combine vinegar, wine, water, and sugar in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Add spices and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a simmer and let cook until syrupy and reduced by two-thirds, about 40 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, jalapenos, and garlic and season with salt. Cook until tender, then add tomatoes and syrup. Season once again with salt then bring to a simmer and let cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 30 minutes. Add mustard and cayenne and cook about 10 minutes more, discard the spices.
- Heat remaining oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add peppers and season with salt. Cook until tender then add to chutney. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
leave a reply